Wednesday 10 August 2011

Ditchling Beacon - Acrylic on canvas

I usually begin a large canvas by thinning paint right down, whether it is acrylic or oil and applying it to the surface in bold washes. (I usually do this in the garden, as I quite often look more like a painting myself!) Repeating this several times gives a beautiful iridescence. Larger lumps in the paint that haven't dissolved also provide a good texture to work with.

From there, I begin to pull the landscape together, ensuring that some of the washes remain. I then build up some areas quite thickly. Again producing a variety of marks from washes, brush, fingers, rag and sticks, which aim to add freshness. I stand back from the work as often as I can too to ensure the painting 'works'.

Detail

If I feel that I have fiddled too much, I often throw another wash over the painting to shake it up a bit! It is tempting not to risk spoiling the image, but for me, it is important that my work maintains spontaneity!

I try to ensure that colour notes are echoed around the canvas where appropriate, allowing the eye to dance around the surface, taking care to include complimentary colours to achieve maximum colour effect. I love to be bold with colour, as you may have noticed!

Once dry, I apply a couple of coats of varnish (allowing 24 hours between each)



No comments:

Post a Comment