Tuesday 12 February 2013

Scarp Slope, Ditchling Beacon - Acrylic on canvas

 
I have always had a deep interest in the 'layering' of landscape; the contrast between the wilds of nature and human intervention through agriculture, settlement and trade. It has been a recurring theme in my work for many years. Even back during my art school days in East London, I was fascinated by nature's reclamation of large areas of dockland (it seems that Westfield is winning that battle now though!) This relationship between human activity and nature is clearly seen from the top of Ditchling Beacon, where views over the Weald of Sussex are just glorious.
 
My method follows a similar approach, layering and washing out areas of the canvas and I aim always to find contrasts in mark making. I am ready too to obscure already successful parts of the painting in order to push the final piece. I am never precious! I ensure too that colour is woven throughout the surface, encouraging the eye to travel along the chalk path.
 
Finally the image is not great, my main camera is not playing ball at the moment and needs to go off for a little break to the camera shop...

No comments:

Post a Comment