Thursday 8 September 2011

Ditchling Beacon completed

Ditchiling Beacon, Acrylic on canvas 80x60cm

Anyone who follows my blog regularly will know that I have been working on this painting, off and on all Summer. I am now calling it finished, as I feel that I have pushed it as far as I need it to go.

I wanted to explore the wonderful organic textures found in an agricultural landscape, together with the imposed rigidity of field boundaries and hedgerows. It is this juxtaposition that has interested me for 25 years or so, whether it is rusty old abandoned dock yards in the East End or the wonderful Sussex Weald.

I continued to lay down bold washes of colour throughout this painting, working into it with thick acrylic and masking broad areas to define the various plains. Let me know what you think!

Here's a reminder of it's previous stages;
      
Build up of washes

Blocking in of the composition

Further washes


1 comment:

  1. another wonderful painting! how did you manage to do so much painting during the summer hols???

    ReplyDelete